Re: [OM] Elite Chrome 100 question (minimal OM-4 content :-)

Subject: Re: [OM] Elite Chrome 100 question (minimal OM-4 content :-)
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 17:38:58 -0700
At 12:21 AM 1/10/99 +0100, you wrote:
>I bought today, in an impulsive mood, a couple of Elite Chrome 100 films.
>Never used this film before. Does anyone have to share any experiences about
>this film?

Hans:

Just blasted through a few rolls of the film and its higher-speed cousin (the
200 ASA stuff).  I'll tell ya, if Kodak keeps improving their films like these
have been improved, I'm gonna have to stop bad-mouthing 'em.  8^>

All kidding aside, I was very pleased with the colour saturation and the
overall sharpness -- even the 200 ASA stuff was far better than what I remember
from similar films even a few years ago.  I photographed some tricky winter
scenes using Elite Chrome 200 and my OM-1n, and I'm unable to detect a colour
bias in the snow that seems "off" in any way.  YMMV, of course.  (Perhaps it's
just my imagination, but the film also appears to be less sensitive to over- or
under-exposure than earlier slide films -- I've got some scenes of sunrises
from Jasper National Park this fall taken with Elite Chrome 100, and even
though I bracketed +/- 2 stops in one-stop increments, there's surprisingly
little variation in the final slides.  Mind you, having a less-sensitive slide
film introduces a whole new range of problems...)

As for fashion, hell, I don't know.  My wife won't even let me photograph her
in that lovely new formal evening gown she just bought!  (I'll keep working on
her.)

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/