[OM] [Off-topic] Baby Wright has arrived!

Subject: [OM] [Off-topic] Baby Wright has arrived!
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 17:28:43 -0700
At 10:54 PM 1/9/99 +0100, Marko Vrabec wrote:

[snip]

>Undoubtedly everyone agrees with congratulating Wrights on their newborn
>baby. I am also sure everyone fully appreciates the time and effort
>Shawn puts into maintaining this list.
>
>However, why on Earth does everybody insist on sending their personal
>congratulations to the entire mailing list? Do you think your wishes
>would be appreciated less if you emailed them directly to the person in
>question?

Marko:

There's one very good reason for this -- it encourages feelings of "community"
amongst an otherwise-largely-unknown group of people scattered across the
planet.  The amount of bandwidth used to relay these feelings and sentiments is
entirely trivial in comparison to that.

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/