Re[2]: [OM] Even More ebay Madness....

Subject: Re[2]: [OM] Even More ebay Madness....
From: Dave Haynie <dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 09:13:28 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 7 Jan 1999 01:02:38 EST, Scj9000@xxxxxxx jammed all night, and by
sunrise was overheard remarking:

> In a message dated 1/7/99 12:12:38 AM Eastern Standard Time, md@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> writes:

> << What are people thinking, B&H sells
>  brand new ones for $149.95!  (Varimagnifier)>>

> Yup..last month I sold my 25-yr-old one on Ebay and it brought $168..needless
> to say I was pleased.

E-Bay has certainly emerged as the best place to sell some kinds of
stuff, because there is this level of insanity. I wonder if it's just
folks getting caught up in the relative excitement of the bidding
process, or maybe newbies to the net. After all, it's a fairly trivial
10-30 minute exercise to hunt down a complete enough price list for used
OM gear on the net. If you can buy something from a dealer for less,
along with the usual reputation and return capabilities that implies,
you're nuts paying more on e-bay.

There was a good article in Wired a few months back by William Gibson, about
the allure of e-bay for collectors. That pretty much pegged it; I buy
some OM stuff there, some harmonicas, and a few other things that I
collect. I never even consider it for the kind of thing I could get down
at Wal-Mart. The first rule of collecting anything is "know the market".
It's quite a bit like gambling -- you need the ability to recognize the
value of a deal, and the good sense to walk away when you should.
--
Dave Haynie  | V.P. Technology, Met@box Infonet, AG |  http://www.metabox.de
Be Dev #2024 | NB851 Powered! | Amiga 2000, 3000, 4000, PIOS One