Re: [OM] OM-4T BATTERY PROBLEM

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4T BATTERY PROBLEM
From: Richard Ross <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 10:14:28 +0000
At 13:11 06/01/99 +0530, you wrote:
>Attn.:MrJOHN HERMANSON/ALEXANDER
>
>The BATTERY DRAIN can be stopped by turning the 'SHUTTER SPEED DIAL' to the
>RED 'B or  1/60sec' setting. THis totally shuts off the BATTERY.
>Check archives or SHIPMAN.
>Sunil.

No it doesn't.  At least not on mine. What it *does* do is prevent the
metering being turned on by pressing the shutter button which can help
reduce battery usage if it's possible for the button to be pressed lightly
while it's in your camera bag.  I flattened a set of batteries in my Mamiya
6 once because of this -I'd forgoten to switch the camera off, somethign
was sitting on top of the camera bag, and the button was being pressed
sufficiently to turn on the LED meter display.

A year or so ago I checked the actual current consumption of my OM-4 in
order to test this, and there was a constant 10uA (approx) drain whether
the shutter speed was set to B or to anything else.  The same is true of
the OM-2SP.

Richard