Re: [OM] OM Millenium Plans

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Millenium Plans
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 06 Jan 1999 12:18:54 +1000
ClassicVW@xxxxxxx moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

> In a message dated 1/5/99 6:21:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> << "Officially" the Christian nativity was 25 Dec, 1 BC.  The next year
>  was numbered 1 AD.  No zero in between (Zero wasn't inveted yet!).
>   >>

> There was no nativity on 25 Dec 1 B.C.  Christ's birth was designated Dec 25th
> in the 8 th century by a Roman ruler because there were several religions
> vying to be dominant, and he gave the nod to Christianity. Dec 25th was a
> large pagan holiday at the time.

Didn't I say just that later on (that those who calculated the date
got it wrong)?

Midwinter has probably been a celebration in Europe for thousands of
years.   At the time of the first celebrations of Christmas, Dec 25
was the big sun-worship festival of the Mithracite religion.

Letting potential converts keep their familiar holiday dates has been
a tactic of up-and-coming religions long before and since Christinity.

Chris.

p.s. This is getting WAY off topic.  We should stop here.

p.p.s. I think a fitting Millenium photo project is to show all the
things we hoped to acheive this century but did not---we've still got
wars, still got famines, no non-pathetic space capability, no clean
energy, unsafe streets, unemployment, endemic diseases, incurable
cancer.  Still, a man's reach *should* exceed his grasp---else what's
an OM-4Ti for? :-)

cjb.

--
| Christopher J. Biggs -|- R & D Software Engineer,  Stallion Technologies |
| chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx -|- VoiceNet. +61 7 3270-4266  Fax. +61 7 3270-4245 |