Re: [OM] insurance

Subject: Re: [OM] insurance
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 11:42:55 -0500
At 05:40 AM 1/1/99 -0800, you wrote:
>The recent unhappy story about the loss of a Nikonos system prompted me
>to remind this group that your homeowner's insurance policy often covers
>the loss of such equipment -- _if_ you aren't a professional
>photographer.
>
>It works like this. Equipment which is used professionally is _not_
>covered because you are _obliged_ to take it out of the house, and it is
>considered something desirable to steal. I'm a tech writer, so if I
>carry my notebook computer to work, it is _not_ covered.
>
>On the other hand, I am not a professional photographer. So damage to or
>loss of my photo equipment _is_ covered. (I have a supplemental policy
>for my notebook.)
>
>If you don't have homeowner's insurance (or similar insurance for condos
>or apartments), you should get it. (When I got mine a few months ago
>from State Farm, I was flabbergasted at how cheap it was. The
>supplemental policy for my notebook was also cheap and broad -- it even
>covers normal breakdown of the equipment!) If you already have it, you
>should check to see just what is covered, for how much, and under which
>conditions.

Gotta watch this, tho. Most of the time, items like cameras are covered up
to a certain amount. You will need a supplemantal rider to your coverage to
cover you if you have a lot of stuff. And they tend to be a PITA because
you have to submit a list of equipmet, with serial numbers, so if you tend
to trade equipment a lot, the list gets obsolete fast.

Regards,
Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com
Panoramic and 360deg Immersive Images at
        www.threehundredsixty.com