RE: [OM] Four new pictures

Subject: RE: [OM] Four new pictures
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 14:22:15 +0200
Hi Per,

>Very nice lion photos indeed. I´ve taken a few as well with my Sigma
>600/8, but I suppose the Russian mirror lens is better?

I don't know the sigma 600/8 mirror lens. I used to own a Sigma 400 1:5,6
Apo lens before the rubinar and this lens was disappointing for me. When I
compare the rubinar and the 400mm Apo, the rubinar is much better.

>I don´t think I get quite the sharpness that you do, but as far as
>contrast I >think the Sigma is a little better than even the Zuiko 500/8.
>It is also
>somewhat faster.

The Zuiko 500mm mirror I don't know,too, but somewhere there was a
comparison here in the Internet, where it was the best with regard to the
contrast (both the Sigma 600 and the rubinar were not in this comparison).

>The male doesn´t seem to have a single scar. Was he the single adult
>male? Our lion males at the zoo were I work are pretty much scratched
>up with lots of scars in their faces and on their backs as they fight
>each other quite often.They are very seldom seriously wounded though.
>Lions have an incredibly thick and tough skin, and the males also have
>their manes to protect their throats. All  wounds seems usually also
>to heal very quickly on the lions.

It was the only male lion in this outer part of their yard. But I think
they have more than one male lion in this zoo.

>One other thing that bothers me with the Sigma lens is the very short
>DOF. Of course this has to do with it being a 600 mm super tele lens,
>but I would think mirror lenses have even shorter DOF than an ordinary
>super tele lenses.

The DOF is indeed smaller than with equal long focal lengths and apertures
with "refractors". This is because the central aperture leads to an greater
diameter of the front element. With 500mm and 1:5,6 this effect is extrem,
but you can play with it. This lens is an example for my observation that
there are random elements in every picture you take. Things like donut
shaped highlights are difficult to determine in a viewfinder and you always
have to wait for the final result to see, if it bothers or amazes.

>BTW, I always shoot without a tripod, but I usually seem to find some sort
>of >support (car side window etc.). The spot metering in manual with the
>OM-2SP
>(and the 2-13 screen)works excellent with this lens (in fact manual is the
>only > mode usuable).

I used the auto mode of the OM-2n.

Matthias