Re: [OM] Purpose of 8mm Fisheyes?

Subject: Re: [OM] Purpose of 8mm Fisheyes?
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 21:11:21 GMT
On Tue, 29 Dec 1998 18:59:00 +0100, Richard Schaetzl
<Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hello Olympians,
>
>I wonder for what type of photography 8mm Fisheyes are used. Is it true,
>that they were designed for meteriological observations? Are they still
>used for that purpose?
>
>I remember to have seen just one photo were a circular Fisheye under a
>plexiglass cupola was used to photograph northern lights.
>
>Regards
>
>Richard

Yes Richard.

I am a meteorologist and I have used this lens professionally indeed.
Not for real time observations. but for documentation and for teaching
purposes.
It was the only way of picturing a full sky hemisphere, until the
videocam came up. But for printing the photographic camera is best
yet, so occasionally I still use the lens professionally to picture
cloud skies.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht Holland.