[OM] The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery

Subject: [OM] The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1998 10:47:24 -0700
First things first:

I'd like to wish everyone on this list a great holiday season.  For those of
you who have explicit Christian sentiments, I hope this holiday is one of deep
meaning and spiritual refreshment for you.  For everyone else, I hope you get a
few days/weeks of rest and relaxation -- goodness knows we could all use it.
(I know I could.)

Now on to the main topic.

The Gallery (and of course a lot of other stuff) is now running on new
equipment -- two Intel boxes (each equipped with 333 MHz Celeron(tm) chips, 128
MBytes of RAM, one 7.2 GByte hard drive, Linux O/S, Apache Web server).  For
those of you with the bandwidth to notice the difference, it should be a *lot*
faster now.  (It sure is from where I am -- downloading and uploading is a
joy!)  Even if you don't have the bandwidth, you should at least notice that
connection/acknowledgement is a lot faster than it used to be.

I don't necessarily consider the configuration to be stable at the moment, so
people may notice hiccups from time-to-time.  We're also in the process of
re-routing the boxes' network (and physical) addresses, so there may be
occasional burps from that.  Otherwise, looks good.  They've also gone through
a semi-formal security review, but certain types of attacks (like the
denial-of-service attack we experienced a while ago) can't ever really be dealt
with ahead of time.

To those of you who have submitted photos in the last six weeks, please be
patient.  It's the holidays, and I'm badly in need of some rest, so the new
submissions will go up, but not as quickly as you've obviously hoped.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas, everyone!  (Says he, heading for the bottle of
Bowmore's Darkest Sherry Casked single-malt at a quarter to eleven in the
morning on Christmas Day... 8^> ).