Re: [OM] Digital Photo & Printing, Myths & Marketing

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Photo & Printing, Myths & Marketing
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 21:29:29 +0100
Dave Haynie wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Dec 1998 10:25:25 -0800, Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx> jammed
> all night, and by sunrise was overheard remarking:
>
> > But there is still a great difference between photographs and ink-jet
> > prints. I boils down to:
> >
> > 1) the "DPI" myth: ...Effective resolution is no better than the area in
> > which all four inks can
> > be displayed, or 720 DPI.
>
> > 2) To make fully saturated or extremely light colors, the printer
> > must "dither" or utilize adjascent 1/720th cells, further reducing the
> > effective resolution to 360 DPI or less.
>
> Actually, that's changing. Some of the latest printers use translucent
> inks and drop-modulation technology, for much better control over the
> actual color of each dot than they've had before. HP's "PhotoRET II"
> claims to do with, with up to 16 drops of ink per pixel (clearly this is
> both mixing and modulation, since they only print in 3+1 colors).  See
> http://www.photoret.hp.com. I have not seen actual print samples from
> the latest printers, but they started using this kind of technology in
> the 700 series a year or so ago, and did get the absolutely best ink
> jet 600x600 results I have seen.

I don't know the details of HP's technology, but the results from
the HP2000C, which uses the PhotoRET technique, looks fully acceptable,
although you would not confuse the results with actual photographic
prints. HP have licensed some techniques from Kodak, who ought to know
how to make pictures. Printing on "photo quality" paper, the pictures
look a little grainy, especially i gray areas.  From 50 cm distance
the graininess is barely noticeable.

All in all quite neat quality for an office ink jet printer. It is
in even fast enough to rival my old LaserJet II when printing B&W.

Oly contents: I'm waiting (im)patiently for the UKP199,- Olympus ES10
scanner I ordered a couple of weeks ago. It should give some good
material to test the printer with.

[good stuff cut]

> --
> Dave Haynie  | V.P. Technology, Met@box Infonet, AG |  http://www.metabox.de
> Be Dev #2024 | NB851 Powered! | Amiga 2000, 3000, 4000, PIOS One

Regards
Lars
--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx> http://isa.dknet.dk/~lhaven
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"