[OM] Camera bags, packing, and flashes

Subject: [OM] Camera bags, packing, and flashes
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 00:34:06 -0500
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all:
I'll be heading out next week for the Holidays.  I'll be in sporadic
email touch, but will not be back in the office until 10 January.  I
decided to do a little packing tonight, and drug out my OM gear.  I then
looked at my camera bags, and tried to decide which to take.  Most of my
stuff "lives" in a Lowe Photo Trekker backpack, but I also have an old
Lowe Compact 35 and a Kiwi.  Well, I decided this time not to take my
Bogen and 300/4.5, so this got me to thinking that I might be able to
get by with one of the smaller bags.  I started with the smallest, just
for fun.  Into the Compact 35 I was able to get:

        OM-4Ti w/Winder II
        OM-PC
        500/8
        180/2.8
        65-200/4
        35-105/3.5-4.5 w/hood
        2x-A Teleconverter
        Sunpak 36DX w/wide filters and telephoto attachment
        10-15 extra AA batteries
        Box of extra 357 batteries
        Lens cleaning kit
        Spare caps (49mm, 55mm, body, and rear lens)
        Several rolls of film
        M.Remote cord with extra-long extension

Frankly, I was quite amazed at how much fit into such a small bag!  I'm
probably going to repack into the Kiwi (where I usually keep a bunch of
flashes and flash-related accessories) just to give me more room.  My
little (but sturdy) Velbon DF-10L tripod even straps to the side of the
small Lowe!  As an aside, some of you may have noticed the lack of zooms
in the above line up.  I might squeeze a 28/3.5 in somewhere, but I
still need to get some decent wide angles.  I've got several, including
a 21/2 on my wish list.

On another note, I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience with
the Sunpak 36DX flash?  I really like mine, since it has equivalents to
almost all the T-32 type accessories, and it tilts *and* swivels, and
has a much wider range of manual power settings.  I'm not sure what the
current equivalent model is (anyone know?).  With the addition of a
TTL Connector T-20, it might as well be a T-32 :).  Also, does anyone
know if the color filter set is still available anywhere for this flash?
If it isn't, does anyone have a set of color filters for the flash just
laying around that they would like to put up for sale? :)

Well, I've rambled enough.  I will probably revise the FAQ's once again
in a few days, so look for a message from me about that.  I hope
everyone has a safe and restful holiday!

Cheers,
--Lee