[OM] The Unofficial Olympus Gallery

Subject: [OM] The Unofficial Olympus Gallery
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 09:45:38 -0700
Greetings, all.

If some of you have noticed degraded performance out of the Gallery in recent
weeks, you're not imagining it.  'kaska' had to be replaced due to a burst
water-pipe in the ceiling above the server room (we found kaska sitting in
several inches of water the next morning).  The replacement, a
hastily-cobbled-together box, is a slower machine which is only temporary.
Come the new year, we should have a shiny new server with lots and lots of
storage, raw speed, etc.  You know -- all the good stuff!

Of course, performance is being degraded for another reason -- someone has been
launching a series of break-in attempts from a particular IP address which
we've traced to Northern California, probably San Francisco area.  In all
likelihood, the IP's either spoofed or is another box which the attacker has
broken into previously to cover his/her tracks.  We're still working on it.
Some of the attacks have been characterized by simple brute force, and
effectively amount to a so-called "Denial of Service" attack due to their
frequency, that is, the attacker has been hitting the box so often that all of
its power is being absorbed attempting to respond.  Anyone else attempting to
see the Gallery during these periods would have noticed extremely bad response
times (as bad as 30 seconds+ to serve a page in some extreme cases).  Apologies
to all.  Like I said, we're working on the problem.

Garth