Re: [OM] Trade: Diopter

Subject: Re: [OM] Trade: Diopter
From: Soenke Jansen <SoJa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 12:15:29 +0100
Joel Wilcox wrote:
[...]
> Thanks for the suggestion. Others, like me, might be interested in how this
> custom cutting was done.

Hi Joel,
actually I simply took my old pair of glasses and the empty eye-cup to the
optician. He then ground the glass down starting from the edges and ending with
a diameter of some 19mm (3/4"), which fitted nicely into the cup. The only worry
he had was, whether he could grind down to a diameter that small.
In contrast to Susans remark, the glass wasn't too thick. The thread holding the
lens in place is rather long. But maybe if you had plastic glasses (which tend
to be a lot thicker, though lighter) or a very high diopter number (mine is
-2.25) this might cause a problem.
If we leave out astigmatism (there doesn't seem to be any solution 'in sight'
for this), I'm very satisfied with this lens. Apart from being cheap and
providing exactly the correction I need, I can now pride myself in having some
original, highly multicoated 'ZEISS' glass on my OM-2 ;-)
Cheers, Soenke