[OM] I'm Back.

Subject: [OM] I'm Back.
From: Stuart Goggin <sgoggin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 20:11:53 +1100
Hello All,

Just returned from my honeymoon in Thailand.   A truly amazing place.
We did lots of jungle trekking and saw some incredible sites. Some of
the scenery is absolutely breath taking.   It is amazing waking up to
the sound of wild gibbons calling to each other in the morning, or to
see a family of monkeys visiting the local watering hole in the evening.

The OM's didn't fair too well.   I only took too bodies as I wanted to
pack light.   Both bodies had been recently overhauled by a local
reputable firm.  I decided on them because their meters had been tuned
up, as I was using lots of slide film this was important.  Well
annoyingly one week into the three week holiday both bodies died on the
same day.  Ironically on a trek through some of the most beautiful
mountain scenes I have ever seen.  The meter switch on the OM 1 simply
fell off, leaving the camera meter less.  The OM2 decided it was going
to lock up every time it was pointed slightly above horizontal.   It was
also giving intermittently long exposures of up to ten seconds in bright
sunlight.      Interestingly the OM2 had just had its main PCB
replaced,   so I guess it will have to go back.

I managed to do an emergency repair on the OM 1 with a pair of pliers I
was able to find in a shop.   The OM 2 recovered a little after a new
set of batteries and a complete drying out,   but would play up again
anytime it was exposed to high humidity.

The rest of the lenses and gear worked flawlessly.n   I used the Orion
AW for the first time.    For anyone thinking of a camera bag I would
highly recommend this bag.   It was especially brilliant on the treks as
I could open it whilst it was still attached to my wais and use it as a
sort of table for lense changes.

I shot about 40 rolls of film in all.  I developed some of the slide
film in Thailand as it is very cheap to process there,   even cheaper
than print film!!!   I paid $3.60 to get 36 expoosure slide film
processed and mounted into proper plastic kodak mounts.

Next time I will be taking a third back up body, probably the OM 2000.

Stuart Goggin