Re: [OM] OM-1 prism foam removal

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1 prism foam removal
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 07:25:08 -0800
On 26 Nov 98, at 8:02, Andras Iklody-Szabo wrote:

> >, but not before scratching the black wind
> >lever screw cover. (aargh!) I figured I could do it without damage as I had
> >done so on my OM-10s, but no go - it was tight, and I slipped...
>

> >Total time including messing up the wind screw was just over an hour, so it's
> >no big deal, but if you have a mint OM-1, I'd try to find a proper spanner
> >for
> >this screw. I ended up enlarging the holes slightly to fit my circlip pliers
> >smallest tips, which I should have tried first.
> >

> >Shawn & Janis Wright
>

> There should be no need to use any tool IN the holes of that little disc.
> Applying rubber tension ON TOP of it (a rubber cork of sufficient diameter,
> a piece of inner tube pressed against it and twisted) should do the trick,
> as somebody here has already suggested, and as I have done on various
> occasions. You can leave that black anodized aluminum disk (which is a
> piece of decoration, nothing else) untouched and pristine in spite of
> dismantling the top.

Thanks, I did try this, but it was *very* tight, and a cork would not do it (I
forgot to try a rubber cork, so I kept opening bottles of wine... funny... my
head hurts this morning... ;-) . This is the first OM-1 I've done. Had I known
the black cap and surrounding chrome bezel are all one piece, I would have
tried gripping the bezel as well. Oh well. I guess I just have to buy another
OM-1 now to get it right... ;-)

> By the way, as far as I know, Olympus has officially depleted their stock
> of these. Maybe John has still some available?

I've asked John off list about this and some foam and await his reply.

Thanks.
Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright