RE: [OM] OM focusing rail

Subject: RE: [OM] OM focusing rail
From: Steven_Read@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 14:56:59 -0500

To:       olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc:
From:     Steven Read/CAM/Lotus @ NOTES@ALPHABETA
Date:     11/23/98 02:56:59 PM

Now that I've bought 3 focusing stages and actually received one I can
definitively say yes and yes. (the first time I bought one the seller had
confused the base of the bellows with a focusing stage, the second time the NYC
store took my order and never sent anything - Do you suppose they were trying to
make me cranky?)   A "Focusing Stage" is  essentialy a block that looks a lot
like the block ("Focusing Tripod Block" ) that attaches the rail part of a
"Focusing Rail" or "Auto Bellows" to a tripod, only it's got a place to mount a
camera and it's meant to go on top of the rail. It's got a larger top surface
("Stage Surface"), which is rubberized and thinner on one side to allow for a
"Camera Clamping Screw".   I'm pretty sure a focusing rail is an auto-bellows
without the bellows bits.  I haven't actually seen a rail sold as a rail - are
the markings (e.g. for use with the slide copier) the same?  Anyone?  And if I
didn't say it, yes it fits on the auto bellows rail.  New from B&H $70 (USD)
used asking is about $50 and not that common.

I know it's in japanese but if you look at
ftp://ftp.charm.net/pub/usr/home3/tomokoy/OMMacro.jpg (thanks Tomoko :-)
in the second column from the left, 2 down from the top is an illustration of
the focusing stage while immediately below it is the focusing rail (8 down in
the same column is the auto bellows with focusing rail)

* * * Previous Memo History * * *

From:  Greg Heier <gheier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> @ ALPHABETA

Anyone know what the focusing stage is? Is that like a standard that
attaches to the rail that you mount the lens and body on? If it is, does it
fit on the auto bellows rail? I dont know if I've ever seen one available,
used or otherwise.

Greg

Mike Bloor wrote:
> The instructions mention that it is used with a focussing stage (which I
don't have).