[OM] Vibes

Subject: [OM] Vibes
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrickg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 07:03:43 -0700
> about the OM's without mirror lock up.  Is the vibration dampened enough for
> macro and super telephoto?

        Charles,  How high is up?  How long is a roll of string?  How good
is your tripod? Do you use remote shutter release, self timer, or...?  What
duration exposure?  Any given tripod-lense-camera combination will have
mechanical oscillation(s) excited by the shutter motion as well as the
operator, wind, whatever.  Their amplitude, frequency, and dampening all
effect image blur in a time dependent way.
        My personal super tele experience only goes up to 2000mm and a
tripod that I would rate about 5 or 6 on a scale of ten where 1 is hand
held by someone with the jitters and ten is a giant lump of steel.  I get
acceptable pix with my OM-2 and OM-2n but out of slavish devotion to
tradition when doing astrophotography I use OM-1n bodies for the lock up
feature.
        75 to 950f my macro work is hand held (trail side flowers and
bugs) up to 1:1 and I do get noticeable camera motion sometimes but not due
to the mirror.

Patrick