Re: [OM] Re: OM Help with meteor shower pictures

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OM Help with meteor shower pictures
From: "Mark Hammons" <astair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 22:05:34 -0600

>>From the Astro Photographers Mailing List (APML), ISO 800 film for 2-4
>minutes at f/2 is the leading favorite, closely followed by ISO 400 for
>around 5 minutes.  A few guys have suggested using 1600 or even konica's
>3200 film since a meteor streak is fast and fleeting.  A normal to wide lens
>is preferred for both speed and angle of coverage.  A very stout tripod is,
>of course, required.  Hang a weight from the centerpost if need be - a very
>soft breeze can cause a lot of damage to an image when the shutter is open
>for a long time.
>
>Clear skies and good luck,
>John P

I'd like to inform list members a little bit more about this upcoming meteor
shower.
Tomorrow, Nov 17th at about 19:00 UT the "LEONID" meteor shower will peak.
This normally results seeing 20 meteors an hour -- about one every 3 minutes.
They are called Leonids because they seem to originate from the constellation
"Leo" the Lion.

What is peculiar about this year's showing is that the parent comet whos
debris the earth is passing through tomorrow just crossed earths orbital plane
early this year.  It has thus just left a "fresh" bunch of dust  behind it.  It
is that
dust in the Comet's orbit that makes a meteor shower.  In this year's case,
it could be a METEOR STORM, however, with up to 150,000 meteors per
hour.   That is like 40 a second!!!  It may however be less than this at
"only" 10,000 or so per hour.  This shower has produced "Storms" in
the past after comets has passed through the earths orbital plane, which
happens about every 33 years.

IF you look on the following web page it will give you more information.  Follow
the link on the web page for even more information.  You will note on one of
the web pages it has a map of the expected meteor rate over various
portions of the world.  The best place to be is north east Mongolia.  For our
list members in the far east, take a good look.  The best viewing in the
US is right before dawn on the 17th (tomorrow morning as I write this)
as it puts the earth "closest" the central stream of meteor dust that it will
pass through at about 19:00 UT.  Best thing to do is just look at a clear
part of the sky near the Zenith (straight up) as the meterors should be
randomly scattered over the sky.

Just thought those of not aware of this special event might want to
give it a look, especially those well situated near the max intensity
areas.

Regards,

Mark Hammons