[OM] meteor photos

Subject: [OM] meteor photos
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 19:23:52 -0800
VirgilOM4T@xxxxxxx wrote:

> With the visible meteor  showers this week, I would appreciate some advice
> from those experienced in taking pictures in theses lines. Need advice on film
> speed, time exposures, aperture, focal links, etc..
> Any help that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!!!
>
> Thank You,
> Greg
> VirgilOM4T@xxxxxxx

Greg;  (Some of this may be obvious, but I've included for completion)

First and most important, either go somewhere where the night sky is
dark and cloudless or arrange for cloudless dark skies at home<G>.

OK, camera:  Use 'B' and a tripod and a locking cable release. MLU
optional.  If possible, use several cameras and tripods and experiment,
keeping notes.

Lens: Normal to wide angle probably best. I would try as many different
lenses as I could in the 50mm to 8 mm range (best 50 would be one of the
macros - you could use these wide open, or the 50/1.8 - it's pretty good
wide open
too, but I'd go down at least a 1/2 stop).  Faster lenses
allow more latitude.  IE, 28/2 preferred over 28/2.8.  Stop down at
least one stop from wide open to avoid coma or other distortions - IF
there are very bright stars (or Jupiter) near the edges of frame.  Coma
probably not noticable on magnitude 2 or dimmer stars, so then wide open
is OK.
Could compose with only sky, or add an earthly component, trees, home,
You could even light the earthly component with flash or flashlite etc
if u want.  Be sure you use proper lens hood if u do this sorta thing.

Film: My preferred choices would be Ektachrome 200 (maybe pushed one
stop) for slides, Kodak PPF (400 speed) for prints. You could try real
fast film, but I doubt it would be better. Added grain would offset
added sensitivity. Course on 200-400 speed, dimmer meteors probably
won't register if you're stopped down to f/4 or f/5.6.

Exposure: Depends of course.  Stars will trail after about 15-20 seconds
with a 50mm lens, 30 secs with a 35mm, ... (depending on how far they
are from the Celestial Equator - longer trails close to equator, shorter
near Polaris.)  If you prefer no trails, keep exposures short and
aperture around 1 stop down.  If you want long star trails, close down
to f/4 or even 5.6 and leave it open for 30 minutes to several hours
(longest exposure time depends on how dark the sky is).
Course, if you get a ton of meteors in the frame, that will affect
whether you continue to leave open or start another exposure.

Best bet?  For me, EK200, 24/2 lens at F/2 and F/2.8 for 4 minutes.

So, hope this helps, here's wishing you clear skies (unfortunately,
clouds/rain are predicted where I am :>(  and J O B prohibits me going
anywhere else).

George

george  :>)