Re: [OM] Re: OT OM-3T brassing

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OT OM-3T brassing
From: Scj9000@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 19:37:26 EST
In a message dated 11/12/98 4:44:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
<< I wonder if this was Hoya? At about the time you mentioned I bought
 two sets of Ti frames.  >>
Charmant Eyewear did manufacture the titanium frames for Hoya and most other
companies that carried "pure" Ti frames..there were only three companies  with
Ti manufacturing capibilities until the early 90's, and the other two made
cheaper products with only partially Ti frames..they would put a little Ti on
the bridge and the hinge butts and call them "Ti frames"...definitely not the
superior product. By '92 the Italians and Germans had jumped into the fray
with varying qualities of production. Like any product, the quality of the
product depends on good design, superior finishing, and quality raw
materials...Charmant met all three of those.

<<However, the coating on my frames is certainly not a form of anodizing and
has been removed in places through wear and tear.>>
Hoya is considered a "middle-end " product..and their specifications called
for gold plating, not ion plating. Their marketing was not to the upper-end
market (the ion-plated frames from Charmant originally retailed for $500 and
up...when encrusted with rubies, diamonds or emeralds (for the Japanese and
Euro market) they could hit the stratosphere) The ion-plating machinery was
installed in 1988. <and yes, I did sell ONE ruby and diamond frame in ten
years at a Jacob Javits show...none on the road)

I too am a great admirer of Ti..it has light wieght, but more importantly a
tensile strength that is to be admired...and it befits the top-of-the-line OM
to have the top-of-the-line material!
Susan