Re: [OM] Olympus in French "PHOTO"

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus in French "PHOTO"
From: "marc simon" <marc.simon@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 23:46:25 +0100
Hi Omer you wrote
> > From: Omer Nezih GEREK <gerek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I saw a review of digital products in photokina in the French magazine,
> "PHOTO". At the top left, there is a picture of an Olympus camera, and it

> clearly indicates above 12M pixels. In the same page, there is an EOS1
> with kodak pro digital back, and says 6.9M pixels. I have never seen that

> weird looking Olympus beast before. It is completely big, military style,
> square box, with a digital display on it. Since the lens was looking to
the
> other side, I am not sure whether it is an OM mount or not, but it
> definitely looks like an interchangeable one.

I've not seen the magazine but in a previous post, just after the Photokina
I've given some details about this camera which is not a "wooden prototype".
Here is what I wrote the 17 September:
>>This prototype come from the New Business Development department it's
called
"super-high-definition camera and the main applications are medical imaging
and studio photography.
The pictures I've seen look like those produced by large format cameras as
Sinar or Leaf...
It's composed of a camera head a quasi-square 13x12x14 cm),1.4 kg (without
the lens) black box with a 4" LCD viewer on the top it's connected to a pci
bus video capture card (a power unit is connected to the card 85~240 V AC
50/60 Hz) and function under Windows NT 4 or Mac OS operating system.
The image sensor is a L4C8106 (7.5 micro meter square pixel CMD image
sensor) the men with which I talk (M.Stephen is my memory is good) said me
that this component is NOT made by Olympus. The imaging scheme is a
three-plate scheme with dichroic prism and each color channel (RGB) have
2,048x2,048 effective pixels > three 4.2 million pixel !
The shutter speed are from (1/125~1sec) with a shooting interval of 2.5sec.
The camera sensitivity is 50 ISO with a Signal / Noise >57 dB( under Olympus
measurement conditions, I've no more details about those conditions) there
is a possibility of a synchronous flash and the output data is 8 or 16 bits
selectable.
Last but not least the lens is a Exclusive SHD (on the leaflet I have it's
written lenses...) there is also a microscope adapter for Olympus
microscope.
The lens showed was a 45mm f/2.8 M.Stephen (?) said me he give a "normal
lens" angle so it must be not too far of the lenses for the 24x36... On this
subject Minolta will introduce next year a Reflex Dimage 3000 on the base of
the APS with the lenses of the APS and a 2.7 mega pixel image.
So, here the state of my information about the high-quality research we'll
see in the future.
It's a specialized tool for the moment like the first Digital backs...

regards
marc