Re: [OM] OM-3T brassing

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-3T brassing
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 20:46:15 +0100
Giles wrote:

> No one else has given an answer so I will give it a go.
>
> First, I do not have a OM3-Ti so I have no first hand experience on
> this topic, however I do recall that It has been mentioned a number
> of times on this list that the coating on the 3Ti is much tougher
> than that on the 4Ti.

As others have stated, both in now and on several previous occasions,
the surface of the 3Ti is a lot tougher than the paint on the 4Ti.

> I suspect  your question has gone unanswered because no one on the
> list who owns a 3Ti uses it.   They are all packed away carefuly in
> cupboards as collectors items or investments. ;-)

I am glad you added that smiley, otherwise I and other 3Ti owners
who actually use the camera might have resented that remark. ;-)
My 3Ti is "earning" its living in sun, rain and - soon - snow. It
can take it and still look beautiful. Only the back cover is the
same as on the other models and will eventually lose some of its
paint.

> I think the reputation of the 4Ti paint is a little unfair.  It wears
> because people use them a lot as they are such great machines
> to use for their intended purpose.  I realy don't care about paint
> coming off because resale value does not realy concern me as I have
> no intention of parting with mine.

As long as the 4Ti is considered as the tool it is, the paint is not
much of a problem. But it is remarkable that the finish of that one
OM model is so much more vulnerable than all the others. Especially
when the 3Ti proves that a solution is readily available. I do not
believe that the finish of the 3Ti costs more than a few $ more than
the paint.

I wonder if the camera paint threads might ever cause the "fear and
loathing" we know from the 50mm/f:1.8 threads?   ;-)

Regards
Lars
--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx> http://isa.dknet.dk/~lhaven
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"