[OM] LCD displays

Subject: [OM] LCD displays
From: Bill_J._Rice_at_RLT012@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 09:49:44 -0600
In a message dated Tue, 10 Nov 1998 13:24:17 EST Paul Schings wrote:

>I wonder why Olympus chose to put the LCD along the left side of the
>finder,instead of on the bottom like in the OM-3/4? Perhaps to be
>consistent with the OM-2(n)?

You guessed right Paul.  I just obtained an old copy of VisionAge (Vol. 3)
which has 2 articles on the OM-2S.  One of the articles is authored by
Maitani himself and describes in detail his design of the OM-2S.  He says
that the location of the display was kept on the left side of the finder so
it would be familiar to OM-2N users.  Locating the LCD on the side of the
finder was quite tricky and involved the development of a special
prism/window assembly to illuminate the display.  An illustration of this
strange looking prism appears in the article.  In typical Maitani style he
managed to squeeze the assembly into the new camera body while keeping the
outside appearance relatively unchanged from the OM-2n.

Bill Rice