[OM] Shutter speeds

Subject: [OM] Shutter speeds
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 15:56:50 -0800
Hi all;

Yesterday I finally got a Calumet digital shutter speed tested working
that someone gave me.  It's a slick little handheld job that runs off a
9 volt battery.  You can press it against the film rails from inside the
back, then set each manual shutter speed in succession and read the
results from a built in digital LCD.

So, I tested my cameras and found a couple of interesting things:

My 10 yr old champagne 4T was consistently about 1/6 stop under. (I
won't worry about it)

Both my 20 yr old and my mint-almost-never-used OM-1s were practically
dead on at all speeds.

My 2Sp was also dead on at all speeds.

My 2n was pretty close at all speeds under 1/125.  However, at 1/125 up
to 1/1000 it was from 1/3 to 1 stop OVER.  And, even stranger perhaps,
it was consistently worse when a winder2 or MD2 was attached!  The
winder and MD did not affect the 4T, affected the old OM-1 by about 1/6
stop on fast speeds.  Perhaps a drop of mobius oil somewhere in the
innards of the drive gears is necessary?  I won't do this until I see
written advice to do so, either here or in a -2 manual I have access to.

BUT, I almost always use my 2s and 4s on auto anyway.  In this case,
shutter speed should be controlled by OTF so perhaps these tests are
moot in that situation.  I will watch exposures in the 2n carefully at
fast shutter speeds.

George

PS: For completion, my OLD Mamiya 645 tested dead-on at all speeds.