[OM] Tripod heads

Subject: [OM] Tripod heads
From: "Terry and Tracey" <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 11:19:27 +1100
I deleted Peters post before responding, but I'll add my bit here.

I use a Manfrotto 190 with a 141RC head. Knowing what I know now, I would go
a different way. I can get the small plates easily, but I cannot buy what
they mount into. Except on a tripod head. What I mean is the hex plate and
the Arca plates have bases for sale, and the small Manfrotto plate doesn't.

I have quick release plates on all my tripod mounting stuff. This makes it
quick and easy to do any mount stuff, and saves the tripod threads in the
camera gear. I've seen a few bodies with stripped threads. Do the Ti bodies
threads strip? I presume not with the strength of titianium.

I want to make a base to take two Oly tripod collars. On on my 90mm Tamron,
the other on the extension tube. This means I can go from vertical to
horizontal without tilting the tripod head. And holds the lens/tube thing
better. But I don't have any bases to mount the quick release plate in. So
the apprentices are making some at work. But they look identical to the Arca
plate, just different dimensions.

So if I were starting again, I would go Arca. Just because I will need a
custom made or non standard (Kirk or Really Right Stuff) mount sometime.

But my investment in the small plate is big enough for me not to turn back.
I am happy with it - extremely - and if Manfrotto made a base for it (like
they do for the hex plate) I would prefer it. But they don't.

Foxy