RE: [OM] Bizzare OM-1 metering behaviour

Subject: RE: [OM] Bizzare OM-1 metering behaviour
From: Chris Barker <cmib@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 13:02:26 +0100
Dear Sean and Wayne

I read a review of the OM1 in Amateur Photographer a year or two ago in
which the author described this as a battery life indicator.  Apparently,
if you set the shutter to B, with the meter switched off, the needle show
the state of the battery - horizontal is good with progressively lower
charge shown by lower needle angle.

This was given as existing with the OM1, not the 1N, but my 1N seems to act
accordingly.  This is not a spoof or a joke.

Chris

>Just tried what you did with my OM-1 and the behaviour was exactly the same.
>Mine has behaved faultlessly for 20+ years, so I guess it must be just a
>characteristic of the camera.
>
>...Wayne

... and from Sean

>> I was using my OM-1 during the weekend and noticed some rather
>> unexpected metering behaviour. The metering was switched off, shutter
>> set to B, aperture F-stop at 1.4. Funnily the metering needle was lightly
>> bouncing up and down depending on where I was pointing the lense to. I
>> thought maybe it wasn't properly switched off so I flicked the switch to
>> on and the needle went straight up (which was correct 'cos it was a
>> sunny day). Flicking it back to off was back to the same problem. I
>> never noticed this before 'cos the shutter was always set to 1/60 or
>> above during camera storage and the needle obviously stayed low.

etc...