Re: [OM] RE: Third-Party Zooms (was "Zuiko 35-70/f3.6" etc.)

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: Third-Party Zooms (was "Zuiko 35-70/f3.6" etc.)
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 15:01:27 -0800
No Stephen, diversity is a wonderful thing.  I use a pair of Tokina ATX
lenses to extend the range of my Zuikos, an 80-200 f/2.8 zoom and a 300mm
f/2.8 tele.  There are no Zuiko equivalents for the 80-200 and I'd just as
soon not mortgage my kid's first year of college for the 300 <g>.  The
Olympus 1.4X-A teleconvertor works nicely with them too, unlike my generic
Tokina 2X t/c.  Both lenses are very good performers in my estimation.  I've
made published images with both, so I guess the editor thought the image
quality was good enough too.  Do they match true Zuiko performance?  No, but
its darn close IMHO.  The 350 f/2.8 Zuik is just amazing.  For the price
difference, I can live with it.  Alas, they are both "discontinued" in
manual focus mounts - another casualty to the AF takeover.

I have considered getting a third party ultra-wide angle, something in the
16-18mm range.  But the Zuiko offerings are very good there, so I think I'll
keep saving my pennies for one someday.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".