[OM] My OM2 Saga

Subject: [OM] My OM2 Saga
From: Scj9000@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 02:04:02 EST
I figure I'll go ahead and "rookie" you all to death the first night and get
it lover with <g>

I have been having a 22 year love fest with my black Olympus OM2..I had
started with the OM1 MD in 1975 and jumped into the OM2 in '76. I was teaching
high school fresh out of college for the US Army in Nurnberg, W. Germany,
land of the wonderful AAFES Photo Centers. The prices in the overseas PX's at
that time were awesome, so I took full advantage of it and bought beaucoup
lenses, flash, bounce grip, varimagnifier, Olympus cases and bags, in general,
I wet crazy.

My black OM2 has travelled with me all over Europe, Great Britain, Japan, Hong
Kong..in short, it's now a part of my body!  Seriously,  we have a :thing"
going...

I jammed the shutter last year and recently took it to a local camera shop who
sent it to Atlanta..and it came back saying "parts no longer available..cannot
repair". Not believing this could be possible, I then sent it to D.C. to an
authorized service center for evaluation. They sent me a note and said that
for $115 they could totally disassemble it and un-jam. I have waited
expectantly,  then today I get it back with almost a verbatim identical reply
to the first repair service: "parts no longer made, cannot warranty, not able
to repair".

I fell into deep, deep dispair...I had just assumed we could age together and
go out together....this is not fair!!

While awaiting the delivery of my camera, i purchased an OM2 very close to
mine in serial number for parts from  Ebay.  The seller said that the meter
wasn't working, but it has worked well for me since arriving here.
My questions:
1) I am an optician by trade...can fix and solder most things...is this jammed
shutter something that is fixable?? Which has the biggger problem, the one
with the jammed shutter or the one that has meter problems?? I just want one
reliable OM2 to play with.....noticed that microfiche is available...so do you
think I could do this?? If not, who could??

Any help with this will be appreciated....
Yours,
Susan Steele
Amherst, Virginia
 singing
"Oh Lord, now, don't you know.....that you don't know what you've got til it's
gone." (Joni Mitchell)