[OM] overly slow electronic shutter speeds

Subject: [OM] overly slow electronic shutter speeds
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 07:17:40 -0700
"After 20-odd years of service, my OM-2n has started acting oddly. I've
noticed that, in manual mode, the slow shutter speeds don't always
work properly."

This is almost certainly due to a deteriorating switch. As you turn the
switch, you select different resistors for the timing circuit. If the
switch is making bad contact, the switch resistance will add to the
total resistance and slow down the shutter.

The faster speeds work because, presumably, you use the faster speeds
more often and the contacts are cleaner. (This is not uncommon. I've
seen switches deteriortate in equipment that didn't get enough use.)

Cleaning the contacts would probably fix this. Be sure the repariman
puts some sort of contact enhancer (such as Cramolin) on the switch
after he cleans it. A complete switch replacement would be better, but I
hate to think what it would cost.