Re: [OM] Close focus

Subject: Re: [OM] Close focus
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 22:12:42 -0800
Doris Fang wrote:

>> close-up accessory lens [...] isn't going to be perfectly flat-
>> fielded, but it does unbelievably well, and as Doris says, there is
>> no significant light-loss.
>
>I hear the Leitz versions (supposedly near-exact to the Minolta) are
>much better than the Nikons. Plus, they can be used with nearly every
>lens, even zooms.

As it turns out, M*nolta made several of Leitz's lenses.  Recently,
I had a brief tryst (aka "an inappropriate relationship that was wrong,
very wrong" :-)) with some manual focus M*nolta equipment.  I was
particularly impressed with the 16/f2.8 MD fisheye lens, as well as
with the 70-210/f4 MD zoom.

Later on, I found out that both these lenses were also made by Minolta
for Leitz's R-series lens lineup: different names and cosmetics, but
basically the same item, and in the case of the fisheye -- almost
identical appearance.  Of course, the Leitz-labelled lenses sell for
5 times as much... ;-)

Anyway, back to M*nolta close-up lenses.  If they were also made for
Leitz, then I assume their quality is very high.  M*nolta lenses use
49mm and 55mm accessories, so its close-up lenses should be a good
fit for the Zuikos.

However, I would experiment first with the two OLY close-up lenses.
In my experience, both work very well with all std. Zuiko lenses.
Did anyone try them with the two 50mm macro Zuikos?  Pls report.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx