Re: [OM] OM-2, lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2, lenses
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 22:56:08 -0500
At 03:52 PM 10/21/1998 -0700, Peter you wrote and I snipped the first part:

>Now, the questions:
>
>* Most important:  If the repairman will fix the meter switch and self
>timer without charge, should I keep the body, or are the problems
>sufficient evidence that I should stay away from this body?

Hi Peter,

That amount of money (USD?) is a lot for a OM-2 body, unless it's
relatively flawless. If the repair guy can fix the problems, maybe it's
worth it.  I'd certainly discuss the extent of the problems.  IMO you ought
to shoot a roll of slides and test the meters that way before you conclude
that the camera's busted.

>* If I return the body, should I keep the lenses and look for another OM
body?

Those are premium prices to pay for what are certainly SC lenses.

>* Are my lenses multi-coated?  One article said if you see green
>reflections, they are, another said green or blue.  I see some blue and
>violet reflections internally, but no green, and the primary reflection off
>the front element is yellow.  Maybe someone can tell from the lens
>inscription, serial number and reflection descriptions above.

No way are they MC. Sorry.

>* If the lenses are not multicoated, how much difference will it really
>make in practical terms?  I don't usually shoot straight into the sun or
>into bare light bulbs, and I always use a lens hood.

That's the $60K question. If we didn't have MC vs. SC discuss, we wouldn't
have any fun at all on this list ;-)  I don't think I'd worry too much
about it.  They're gonna flare more, that's the bottom line. I think you're
paying more like MC prices for them though.

>* Looking over the lens tests on the Web, the 50mm f/1.4 has tested out so
>many different ways that it can be anything from a dog to a diamond :-)
>Some of the Modern Photography numbers are really off the wall, and I don't
>know how to compare 1970s and 1984+ figures.  I do some indoor work without
>flash, and it's very cloudy in Seattle 9 months of the year.  Is the f/1.4
>OK for general photography, or would I be better off trying to get a f/1.8
>instead (the dealer has several, I haven't seen them yet).

You've got to have BOTH.  It's a rule!

>* Up until now, I've been using an old Leica screw-mount IIIf with 35mm
>f/3.5 Summaron, 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor, and 90mm f/4 Elmar.  (No, they are NOT
>for sale).  There are many inconveniences to this old system, and it's just
>not worth adjusting the shutter every year any more.  How will my Zuikos
>compare, optically, to my c. 1950 Leitz and Nikkor rangefinder lenses?

Someone else can have fun with this one.

>* How cold can it get before the silver oxide batteries' voltage drops
>enough to make the shutter unreliable?

It doesn't get that cold in Seattle.

>* What speed does the shutter or right section of the body
>faceplate.  What does this mean?  Did the camera originally have a motor
>drive?

Means it can take a winder or motor. It's a carryover from the days when
there were OM-1's that could and couldn't.

Was there ever an OM-2 that couldn't take a winder?

Have fun,

Joel