[OM] M.AC Control Box vs. M. Quartz Remote Controller

Subject: [OM] M.AC Control Box vs. M. Quartz Remote Controller
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 19:45:47 GMT
On Sat, 17 Oct 1998 17:57:48 EDT, PCACala@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Hi BW:
>
>> Does this [M. Quartz Remote Controller 1] work on batteries?  I always
>thought it was AC?
>
>You are thinking of the M.AC Control Box in conjunction with a Relay Cord.
>Does the same thing, but in studio situations.  The one I'm selling is a
>lightweight battery driven unit that ***correction here*** only works with
>Winder 2 or Motor Drive 2.  It has a self contained cord 1.2 meters in length
>and extends, if necessary, through use of a M. Remote Controller Cord 10m.
>You get a visual confirmation that an exposure has been made, it allows
>exposure intervals from 0.5 sec to 24 hours, and has a countdown electronic
>frame counter that auto stops at 0.
>
>Gee, with Doris' ideas this is sounding better by the hour!
>
>Gary Reese
>Las Vegas, NV
Some remarks here.

1. AFAIK, this quartz unit works with all winders and motor drives.
Only the frame counter use is limited to the motor drive 2. The M.AC.
Control Box works with both motor drives but not with the winders,
although a simple modification of a Relay Cord would do the trick.

2. Another difference between the M.AC. Control Box and this M.Quartz
Remote controller is, that the latter will only work with the NiCad
pack or Power Grip attached to the Motor Drive. The M.AC. Control Box
does more than being a timer/intervalometer only: it actually replaces
the mentioned power sources, and all energy needed comes from the AC
wall outlet - or from any externally connected 12 - 16 volt battery!

Both units have their special fields of application. IMO the M.Quartz
unit is more versatile, not only because of the longer interval times
it allows for.
It can be used to trigger other machinery as well, which might be
useful if you have other branded equipment too. A nice experiment
would be to have the intervalometer trigger a flash unit, with the
camera shutter on bulb: automatic multi exposures with exact
predefined intervals will be possible now....

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.