[OM] Non-ASCII Postings

Subject: [OM] Non-ASCII Postings
From: Jim Loudon <jloudon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 09:40:56 -0400
Hi All.

I'd like to jump in here and make a plea for mercy to those
folks who persist in making non-ASCII postings to the list.
I receive the digest version of the list, and a non-ASCII
message in the middle of the digest can really ruin things.
When a posting begins with something like:

> - ------=_NextPart_000_0059_01BDF50E.29D034A0

I just groan, because I know what's coming next :-(

At best, the body of the message is duplicated.

At worst, the remainder of the digest is rendered unreadable.

In many cases, I see a block of base64-encoded junk embedded
in the digest.

Please, if your mailer is capable of sending html or rtf-
formatted messages, deselect that option for messages sent
to this mailing list.  Netscape and Outlook users are the
worst offenders, but I'm sure there must be others.  Remember,
this condition can be cured!

I'll refrain from naming individuals this time, but if you've
posted to the list recently from the mindspring.com or mcn.org
domains, please change your settings.

I name names next time...

jim