Re: [OM] Control Pack 2

Subject: Re: [OM] Control Pack 2
From: mahlon.r.haunschild@xxxxxx
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 22:12:56 -0500
I've got the same problem with my NiCad Control Pack 1, but I'm going to
replace the battery insert with NiCads as before to avoid charger
incompatibility problems.  I'll be calling Digi-Key and Olympus today to
find out pricing and availability, and relay this to the list.  Digi-Key
makes custom NiCad batteries out of individual (Panasonic) cells; Olympus
would be, of course, a stock part.

By the way...one thing that I noticed about the stock battery pack is that
it is made up of really cheap cells.  The vent "valve" in each cell is
actually a metal diaphragm situated in front of a metal point. when the
cell overtemps or overpressures, the diaphragm expands and impales itself
on the metal point, releasing the pressure but also allowing the battery
electrolyte (potassium hydroxide, if I remember correctly) to seep out of
the cell over time, eventually rendering the cell useless, not to mention
getting KOH all over the place.

Better NiCads (such as the Panasonics, Sanyos and, believe it or not, Radio
Shacks) use a re-sealing poppet valve arrangement, which re-seals the cell
after an overpressure.

Your mileage may vary, of course.  Regards,

Mahlon

---