Re: [OM] splitting the list? No, cut down on drivel!

Subject: Re: [OM] splitting the list? No, cut down on drivel!
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 07:54:35 -0700
Jan Steinman wrote:

> Before we split the list, can we get people to turn off HTML and huge
> signatures? My guess is that 900f us are using text-based mail readers.
> Sometimes close to half the digest comes in as either a complete repetition
> of the poster's message, only laden with HTML tags, or huge "geek"
> signatures, full of pictures, public keys, etc.
>
> As a digest reader, I'm concerned more with bulk than number of messages. I
> realize real-time list readers have other concerns. And I'm not trying to
> single out anyone for their excessively long messages -- indeed, if you're
> using some of today's "bloatware" Internet packages for email (Netscape or
> Internet Exploder), you might not even be aware that you may be sending
> over twice as many bytes as nessary to make your point.

Jan;

You are right, I didn't realize it.  In my Netware, found the switch in
'Edit, Preferences, Messages'.  Now for my pet peeve:  Some messages are
sent with lines that must be 200 chars long.  Gotta scroll WAY over to
the right to read 'em.  For the record, that variable is in the same
place in Netscape.

thanks

george