Re: [OM] Olympus 35RD -- an eB*y Godzilla!

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus 35RD -- an eB*y Godzilla!
From: SiteMistic@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 06:56:33 EDT
<< >As I posted earlier, I just picked  up an RD in EX++ condition from Ritz
 >Collectable cameras this week for $120.
 >[With] repairs [...] I'll end up having a little over $200 in it and
 >I think it will be well worth it.  I've already grown to love it!

   I've had a couple of RD's over the years and they were good cameras; but, I
think $120 - $200 is rediculous for this camera. Until a couple of years ago
when they began to acheive "cult" status, you could buy these things for $50
all day, which is about what they are really worth. I'm afraid our beloved
Olympus cameras are going the way of the Leica. When the Leitz/Minolta CL had
been out for a few years, you couldn't give them away on the used market. They
were derided as what they were, cheap rangefinders - like the RD - with
Leica's name put on them to try and compete in the growing P&S category. Now,
these CL's are bringing between $400 and $1000 dollars on the used market. Go
figure.
    Sorry for the rant but this is a hot-button issue with me. Any sense of
intrinsic value of goods has been lost these days. And we are just adding to
the fuel by paying these rediculous prices for things.

Jim