[OM] Silver-rimmed Lens Reflux

Subject: [OM] Silver-rimmed Lens Reflux
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 13:40:55 -0500
Just when the doctor thought I could go off the Prozac...

Recently I lamented about discovering that several of my prized lenses were
SC. It was such a distressing thing knowing that I had INFERIOR lenses (or
is it leneses) that I almost threw away 12,000 pictures.  I didn't know if I
could go on or not.  Well, after a healthy dose of laying on funny couches
and a chemical induced stuper I had been able to accept the fact that I was
duped into buying these awefull things, and that it wasn't my fault but that
of the "system".  In fact, Ronald Reagan became a good scape goat for my
misplaced anger.  That's right, Ronald Reagan's tax cuts allowed me to buy
more lenses which just happened to be SINGLE COATED!

Now, just when it became safe to go into the water again...

In a recent discussion we all learned that the silver-rimmed lenses are even
lower than low.  I thought, I'm glad my SC lenses have black rims.  They may
be inferior, but at least they aren't silver-rimmed.

Yup, you guessed it.  I unscrewed the lens hoods and filters and,... and...
and... I don't think I can go on here...  "Hi my name Ken and I've got..."
...deep breath... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, IT CAN"T BE!!!!!!

My beloved 100/2.8 and 24/2.8 are JUNK lenses.  They have the infamous
silver-rim.  But thankfully, my 35/shift is black rimmed.  Whew.

Before I tossed them into the trash, I mounted them on the cameras and had a
look at them.  My OM-1 is a chrome body and the silver-rimmed lenses look
wonderful on it.  They looked pretty decent on the black OM-2s, but the
black rimmed shift lens didn't look good on the OM-1.  It's true, chrome
bodies need silver-rimmed lenses.

Well, I'll keep my lenses, but will forever wonder how I've ever managed to
survive without black-rimmed MC lenses.  Worse comes to worse, I'll trade
them in on Sigmas.

Ken N.