[OM] multiple flashes

Subject: [OM] multiple flashes
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 06:39:03 -0700
I'm going to suggest something that I ought not to suggest. However,
it's "common sense," so I think it ought to be brought up.

There is no reason, in principle, why you couldn't wire the trigger and
quench circuits of several F280 flashes in parallel. When the shutter is
released, all the flashes would fire. When the in-camera sensor detects
enough light, the quench signal would shut all of them off.

In practice, there is a limit as to how many flashes the quench signal
can drive (for exactly the same reason there is a limit to how many
speakers you can connect to an amplifier). You also run into a problem
if you use a long cable -- the cable capacitance could so reduce the
rise time of the quench signal that the flashes cut off late -- or not
at all. It's also possible that the F280 uses some Really Weird circuit
that would be damaged by parallel operation.

I am not suggesting that anyone run the risk of damaging their flashes
by trying a parallel hookup. Still, I wonder why Olympus proscribes such
a hookup. I'd like to hear from them about this.