Re: [OM] Books on lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Books on lenses
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 02:46:54 EDT
George writes:

> I had a brief offline conversation with Gary R about it and he
>  recommended a book or two.  But that message is on my other machine.

There is a nice softbound book by Stone on view cameras which covers large
format lens history and the pros and cons of the modern types.  Of course,
"The OM System Lens Handbook" is a gem for information and inspiration and
lusting after Zuikos.  I'd agree on the Sidney Ray books for optical
development history.

Believe it or not, back issues of Popular and Modern Photography have a wealth
of useful knowledge and practical information on 35mm lenses.  No book has
even approached what can be gleaned by visiting a library and just scanning
the Table of Contents for each magazine issue.  By all means try and visit a
library with the actual magazines rather than those with microfilmed copies.
The latter is a pain to search and the high contrast images loose most of what
the illustrations in the articles try and show.  Be forewarned that you will
see more pictures sequences of skyscraper windows and finely detailed currency
than you ever wanted to view.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV