Re: [OM] OTF exposure metering versus ...?

Subject: Re: [OM] OTF exposure metering versus ...?
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 20:04:49 -0700
On 5 Oct 98, at 15:45, Charles Lakos wrote:

> The OM-2N has the strong selling point of Off-The-Film metering (which
> has worked well for me over the years).  The IS1000 has 3 exposure modes
> as far as I know - ESP (which I gather is some programmed weighting or
> fuzzy logic assessment of the entire frame), a centre-weighted average,
> and a spot metering.
>
> So, the question is how does OTF exposure compare with the others?  I
> understand that OTF gets over the problem of stray light and will adjust
> in changing light conditions.  But I can't see that this will be a
> common occurrence.  Any comments?

I've never used an IS, but I learned on an OM-2 so I can comment on a few
strengths of OTF:

1. No concerns about filter factors, as OTF will handle it.
2. No concerns about difficult macro situations.
3. Excellent handling of low light situations, up to 20 minutes or more in the
OM-2 (not n).

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright