Re: [OM] brief Zone System explanation

Subject: Re: [OM] brief Zone System explanation
From: Ralph Nitschke <Ralph_Nitschke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 13:19:23 -0700
William Sommerwerck wrote:
<snip>

> Okay. The Zone System is _very_ simple. It's based on two principles:
>
> 1. You can calibrate exposure and development to produce consistent
> results.
>
> 2. Once everything is calibrated, you can relate exposure of a specific
> brightness level in the scene to the production of a specific gray tone
> on the printing paper.
>
> These principles make it much easier to "previsualize" the results
> you'll get when you print the negative.

I picked up a book to help me better understand the theory/application of
The Zone System, and highly recommend it.  The book is called "The Zone
System for 35mm Photographers - A Basic Guide to Exposure Control", by
Carson Graves.

The following is an excerpt from the first paragraph, chapter one:

"When photographers first encounter the zone system, they are often
overwhelmed and rightfully put off by complex descriptions of exposure
calculations and the jargon of logarithmically derived film densities.  This
is because the zone system is frequently defined in terms of techniques
rather than goals.  While the technical aspects are undeniably important,
why one should learn about the zone system and apply it to photography has
very little to do with becoming a more accomplished technician."

Not only has it explained the zone system to me, but it has provided me with
a much better understanding of exposure as an art or means to capturing your
unique creativity through previsualiztion.  An art for which the Olympus OM
system is wonderfully suited.

Ralph