Re: [OM] Silver lens Rim

Subject: Re: [OM] Silver lens Rim
From: Chris Barker <cmib@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 06:42:17 +0100
>Of course I should be using a lens hood!  I should practice what I preach.
>Do you know which hood does the best job with this lens?  Or could I use a
>collapsible rubber hood from my 50mm?
>
>Does anyone know if there is a formula for figuring length and width of a
>lens hood ?
>Or am I the only one who _doesn't_ know?
>
>Charlie Loeven

I understand, Charlie, that the lens hood for the 85/2 (I hope that that is
what we are looking at here) takes the same hood as the 40/2.  Soooo... if
you find one can you sell it to me for my 40/2 and then carry on looking
for another for your lens?

8-)

I rather like the silver rims; for me it is part of the makeup of the Zuiko
system.

I don't think that a simple formula would suffice for deciding which hood
will suit which lens; the distance back of the front glass (I don't know
whether to call it lens, group or element) or the "glass relief" (?) will
be as important as the angle of acceptance of the lens as a whole.  I got
caught out when I used a 28/2.8 hood on my 28/2 - there was no darkening of
the corners, it was masked off!  It was a pity because it was a lovely old
church in Italy.

Chris