Re: [OM] "good" condition?

Subject: Re: [OM] "good" condition?
From: Andre Goforth <goforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 08:56:20 -0700

William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I've also had bad experiences with KEH. Although KEH is a highly ethical
>company that makes every effort to treat its customers well, it is only
>slightly better at grading. I bought a Pentax 110 and some lenses, and
>found that the lens mounting catches were broken (because the owners had
>simply twisted the lenses off the camera without pressing the release!).
>When I later sold this stuff back to KEH, they wanted to downgrade the
>offered price because the lenses had these defects! ("Let not thy right
>hand know what thy left hand is doing.")

So far the olympus stuff(lens) that KEH has sent me has been above
expectations. Luck???  Where I've had less than satisfactory experience in
general is with camera bodies. After you pay the "list" price for a OM1 or
OM2(n) then, IMHO, they are invariably in need of an overhaul. So tack on
another $100 to $150.

The greatest issue with Olympus gear is the reliability of models that are
no longer manufactured. They are built very well, but after 20 to 30 years
of unknown use and storage, who knows what lurks inside them. How many of
you have had a car that became unreliable and so you traded in for another?
This probably applies to other camera manufacturers too. So, with a keen
sense of the obvious :)), is this THE reason that the majority of 'pros'
use the latest equipment?

>The point of this? You can't trust anyone. Get an absolute return
>guarantee when you buy used equipment.

Andre Goforth
San Carlos, CA
USA