Re: [OM] Tamron Adaptall Mounts

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron Adaptall Mounts
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 12:49:49 -0700
>Gary:
>
>Well, I threw in Konica for curiosity but I AM really interested in a
>Contarex Adaptall mount.  I believe, my early Tamron brochure does still
>list the Zeiss Contarex Mount as an option.  So let me know (anyone ot
>there) if you come across one (has to work with current Tamron 2.8/90mm
>Macro on a Contarex).
>BTW  the last Contarex had some features that Olympus could adopt for
>a new OM model: exchangeable backs with dark slides, mirror lock-up and
>exterior meter reading window. I believe Olympus copied the way you
>exchange the finder screen through the lens mount opening from Contarex -
>even the little holding tool included with every OM screen is similar to
>Zeiss's.
>It is of course ironic that the Zeiss Contarex expired in the year Olympus
>launched it's OM-1 big time in Europe (1972).
>Jan

I had a friend who had a Mamiya 35mm camera from the late 50s or early 60s
with interchangeable film backs with dark slides. I wondered why all 35mm
cameras did not have them. The backs were a little bulky. It may be that
interchangeable backs which would be more interesting to pro also competed
with interchangeable prisms. Probaby it would be very difficult to design a
camera for both and keep weight down and allow a stable base for the lens
mount. It looks like interchangeable tops beat out backs.

The Mamiya certainly seemed to me to be a very modern camera compared to a
Voightlander of the same era.

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California