[OM] sigma lenses

Subject: [OM] sigma lenses
From: Joseph Albert <jalbert@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 23:27:08 -0600 (MDT)
Richard writes:

=============================
Some 3rd party designs are not avaible as a Zuiko, like 70-210mm/2.8 or
14mm lenses, but it should not be forgoten
=============================

very few Tokina's are still available in OM mount, and Sigma is dropping
support for OM mount at a decent pace as well.  eg the 70-210/2.8 and
28-70/2.8's are no longer available in OM mount.  The 400/5.6 APO
was discontinued and replaced wit ha 400/5.6 APO MAcro that also isn't
available in OM mount.  the realtively new 300/4 APO Macro also isn't
available in OM mount, nor are the Tokina 300/4 or 400/5.6 lenses.

at first, it appeared that Tamron was following suit, but now they
are starting to offer some of their newer lenses in adaptall-2 mounting,
eg the new 90/2.8 macro, 28-105/2.8, the new 300/2.8, for instance.

if Olympus were to contract with sigma to offer their lenses in OM mount
it would be a good thing, although I agree that sigma build quality is
questionable.  I think a more appropriate arrangement would be the sort
of thing Vivitar does of having the optics made by the 3rd party, and
selling under the Zuiko name.  Olympus is already doing this with the
two consumer grade zooms they came out with for the OM-2000.  both of
these lenses are made by cosina.

generally, I think Sigma makes premium optics, but they package it in
less than rugged packaging, so sigma optics in an Olympus package wouldb
be a winner, imho.

Joseph