Re: Cost of goods, no OM content was [OM] Olympus and OM

Subject: Re: Cost of goods, no OM content was [OM] Olympus and OM
From: Chris Barker <cmib@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 14:04:22 +0100
>If you want OM content, don't read this.
>
>Simon E. wrote,
>
><<We get ripped off by the importers for everything - cars, motorbikes,
>cameras, electrical stuff etc., it fair makes me spit.>>
>
>Don't throw your bike in the bush!
>Simon, Is it the importers who create unreal prices or the unions and the
>tax man?

Charlie the Lion

It is difficult to work out where the problem arises, but it is not the
unions as far as I can make out.  We have problems in the UK with "white
goods", cars & motorbikes and many other products.  It seems that since the
pricing structure (as it is euphemistically known byt those who set it) is
set because the UK consumer can stand it.  The price of cars is set
apparently because it costs the manufacturer to convert them to RHD, but I
don't see those prices set in Japan etc...  There appears to be a loose
cartel between Government and the manufacturers to maintain prices higher
than many other places.

Chris (I'm no entrepreneur - for the gent who wished to know how to spell
it ;-))