Re: [OM] Play in 35-70/3.5-4.5?

Subject: Re: [OM] Play in 35-70/3.5-4.5?
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 19:25:05 -0500
At 02:37 PM 9/25/1998 +0000, John you wrote:

>I just got a 35-70/3.5-4.5 in the mail, and discovered that there is
>some play in the focus ring. I can rock the ring back and forth a bit,
>and when I turn it, I can feel a little slack, where it doesn't turn,
>and then does. Is this common with this lens, or should I send it back?
>It's in really nice condition except for that. John Gaasland.

John,

Mine has absolutely no play and is smooth as glass. Nevertheless, I'd shoot
a roll with it and try to determine if the slack is relevant to anything
critical where the actual focusing is done.  Particularly if the price is
good (those lenses are starting to go for $150-200, and I don't think I
paid very much more than about $135 for mine new way back when), you might
miss out on a good user.  Lovely little lens. Mine gets a workout.

Joel