Re: [OM] OM77 a decent P&S / backup body?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM77 a decent P&S / backup body?
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 14:08:22 -0500
George wrote:
>Whoaaaa!  back up the P&S truck!  An Oly user should express such
>blasphemy toward the venerable IS series? <g>  Seriously, they may
>function somewhat like a P&S, buth the quality of the results will be
>much better.  The IS-3 lens is on a par with or better than the typical
>zooms for Canon et al AF SLRs.  And the IS-3 AF and other capabilities
>are comparable to the mid range of the other makers.  Don't overlook it.

The IS-3 is an incredible camera.  I would highly recommend it if:
1. you don't need x-flash sync
2. you dont need interchangeable lenses
3. you don't desire 24mm or wider
4. you want a pocket camera

During the delivery, our friend was using the IS-3.  It took two minutes to
teach her everything she needed to know.  By the second roll she had
completely fallen in love with the camera and found that the only thing she
didn't like about the camera was the size/weight.

One thing that does prove to be a operational gripe point is the macro-mode.
You have to turn it on/off.  It was a royal pain to try and do a fast
closeup and the camera fight you.  We eventually just left it in macro mode.

The IS-3 is everything that the OM-5 should have been minus the proper body.

Ken N.