Re: [OM] Olympus and OM - Olympus is a business

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus and OM - Olympus is a business
From: Steven_Read@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 09:59:20 -0400

I originally wrote:

sr>> So has anyone on the list bought a new lens (other than macro)
sr>> within say the last 10 years?  I certainly haven't, it's been
sr>> 15 years since my last "new from Oly lens".  And I'd never
sr>> recommend an OM-2000 over an OM-1n, and I tell everyone who's
sr>> remotely interested in an assortment of lenses about KEH.
sr>> So how can Olympus make a few yen for it's owners from the OM line?

EdMall@xxxxxxx who may have taken offence (or maybe I'm misreading) responded:

<snip>
>Well, I just bought a brand new in thebox OM2000.
<snip>

Bless you!  You have helped keep them both in the camera business and the OM
line .

em>What really blows me away here is the idea that a camera system has to be
sold
em>everywhere to be successful.

Did I hit a nerve here?  I think you Rorschach'd on my post 'cause I can't see
anything that would indicate I disagree with you.

em>As long as you can find the accessories and
em>lenses you need, what's the problem.  And if you can't find OLYMPUS stuff,
em>you're not looking!!!
em>Think of the complaint:  Has anyone bought a NEW lens in the past 15 years or
em>so.

<snip>
There's no complaint here, just an idle question/disturbing thought as to how
they can justify continuing the OM line from a business point of view.  If y'all
just pirated or sold each other outdated copies of my software, my company would
be hard pressed to stay in business, if that were our only product line.  And
we'd probably drop the product (and my job) unless we thought it was somehow
generating ancillary business.  Olympus apparently does all right in the low-mid
consumer P&S photo market and their medical line is well thought of - though
I've always wondered how healthy that business is, since only about 1 in 30 of
the many, many microscopes I've used was an Oly - of course most of my scopes
were polarizers (for geology) and they may not compete in that line.

and to borrow a sentiment, we all seem to share, from Winsor Crosby's post

wc>... because it is perfect for what I want...

It's perfect for me too, I've just been getting it used.

em>  Wow, don't you wish your car or your toaster lasted that long.
em>You must remember that the #1 person at Olympus is a photographer.
em>Not a businessman.  Not an entrupoenuier (however ya spell it!)
em>He's a photographer.
em>And the Olympus line reflects his interests.
em>Cameras made for photographers by photographers.
em>What a concept.

Actually my car has (Morris Garage doesn't get a new sale) but my pickup is
going (Ford will profit in a year or five).  And my 7 Oly OM camera's have, and
the many Zuiko lenses... but I bought very few of them direct from Oly or an Oly
channel so I haven't generated any new revenue for Olympus, and since almost
every lens is available used in Ex+ condition for less than I could buy it for
new from B&H there is no reason to buy new (well ok except for that 90/2 macro)
other than to do my bit to keep Oly making OM.  Thus my vague plans to buy a new
3Ti or 4Ti, somewhat shortcircuited by just getting a used 4.  I'm very unlikely
to wear out the camera bodies I have (in the remainder of my lifetime) never
mind a new 3Ti.  So where do they get enough sales? (I think they don't, so I'm
very happy they have, so far, chosen to keep the line, happy that they let
Cosina put out the 2000 and not at all surprised that there isn't yet an OM5.)