Re: [OM] I've learned my lesson (OM content)

Subject: Re: [OM] I've learned my lesson (OM content)
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 15:01:03 -0800
On 22 Sep 98 at 13:00, Red Rover wrote:

>     A relative beginner, I made the common mistake of investing in cheap
> zooms for my Olympus. As I learn more and more, my eye is begining to notice
> the inferior characteristics that come with the wonderful price. I'm
> interested in doing what I should have done in the first place, invest in
> some used Zuiko primes. My main interests are portrait work and street
> photography. I'm thinking 100mm or 135mm 2.8. Is this a good place to start?
> I've been monitoring this list for a month or so, so I know quality is a
> rather consistent factor no matter what Zuiko you're talking about, so this
> makes the decision even harder. But price is a consideration, so good
> quality in this range that tends to be more affordable will probably when me
> over. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I went through this a few months back, and decided my best choices in order of
preference were:

90/2 Macro
100/2 or 85/2
100/2.8

With price factored in, the 90/2 was quickly out of the running. I came across
a 100/2.8, but $275 seemed a tad high, so I passed. I then found an 85/2 for
$200 CDN, and grabbed it. It is a fantastic lens, wonderfully compact (fits in
the standard case), easy to focus, and very sharp and contrasty. Is suspect
you'd be happy with any of the above, but the 100/2.8 and 85/2 seem the most
common and affordable.